Conference on Tolerance in Islam to Open in Cairo Sunday
A conference on the tolerant attitudes of Islam and its opposition to terrorism will be held in Cairo on Sunday, reported the official Saudi news agency (SPA).
The agency said that the conference would be attended by Mohammad Sayyed Tantawi, the rector of the Cairo-based Al Azhar University, seat of the highest Sunni Muslim authority.
Also expected to take part are Osama Al Baz, the political advisor of the Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak; Nasr Fareed, the mufti of Egypt; and Ahmad Omar Hashim, the president of Al Azhar University.
Other prominent Muslim scholars are also expected to participate.
Omar recently underscored the importance of convening such a conference in light of current global developments and "ongoing attempts to defame Arabs and Muslims."
The US and its Western allies have repeatedly stressed that the anti-terrorism war they are gearing up for is not aimed at Islam, but anti-Islam remarks by the Italian premier last week were met by Arab and Muslim outrage – Albawaba.com
- Egypt’s Azhar Slams Philippine Hostage-Takers
- Abu Mazen ”not to tolerate” attacks against Israel as Palestinian Cairo inter-talks ”delayed”
- It’s inception! A mosque inside a church has emerged to promote tolerance
- Ahmed Maher to Head Egypt Delegation to Doha OIC Meeting
- Israel to Decide on Arafat Travel Plans Sunday, Qatar Appeals for US Intervention