Daesh claims responsibility for attack on Jordan border
Jordanian soldiers carry the coffin of their comrade Belal Al-Zuhbi during his funeral in Nahleh village, near the city of Jerash north of Amman, on June 21, 2016, after he was killed alongside five other comrades in a suicide bomb attack on the border with Syria. (AFP/Stringer)
Daesh has claimed responsibility for a fatal bomb attack that targeted a military post in Jordan near the border with Syria last week.
A bomb blast took place outside the Rukban camp in the area where the borders of Iraq, Syria, and Jordan meet and where Syrian refugees are held for screening, claiming the lives of six soldiers and injuring 13 others on June 21.
The attack against “the Jordanian-American base at Rukban in Jordan” was conducted by a Daesh militant, a Daesh-linked news source said on Sunday.
The Jordanian army said that the explosive-laden car came from the makeshift Syrian refugee camp near the Rukban crossing in the far northeast of Jordan.
Hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees are living in Jordan while thousands more have been stranded at the border since January 2016.
Following the blast, the Jordanian army closed the northern and northeastern border strip with Syria. The measure will likely hamper aid deliveries to the tens of thousands of Syrian refugees waiting at the border camps to be screened before being granted entry to Jordan.
Editor's note: This article has been edited from the source material.
- Daesh affiliate in Egypt claims responsibility for Sinai attacks
- The Daesh statement claiming responsibility for Paris attacks
- Explosion near Rukban refugee camp near Syrian-Jordanian border kills at least four
- Daesh militants claim responsibility for Libya car bombings
- Suspected Daesh suicide attack on Rukban refugee camp at Jordan-Syria border