Damascus blast: Assad brother in law among dead
Assef Shawkat, the brother in law of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad , was killed this morning in a suicide bombing that targeted the building of the National Security in Damascus, said Al Manar Channel of Hezbollah. According to a source close to the security services, Assef Shawkat died at a hospital in Damascus to where he was transferred.
According to Al Manar, the Interior Minister Mohammad Ibrahim al Shaar was injured in the attack. Syrian TV had earlier announced the death of Syrian Defense Minister Daoud Rajha. According to a source close to the security services, the bomber was a bodyguard close to the Assad regime. The bomber detonated his explosive belt at the time of the meeting of key leaders in the security building.
The attack was claimed on Facebook by the Islamist rebel group Liwa al-Islam. The free Syrian army also claimed the attack. "It's the volcano we were talking, we're just getting started," said a spokesman for the FSA.
- Syria Defense minister killed as blast hits major security building in Damascus
- Leader of Dubai dies in Australia; Brother replaces him
- Assad's family & anchors of power falling: bomb kills brother-in-law and defense minister
- First of the family to fall: Who was Assad's brother-in-law?
- Wake up with Bashar Assad: Syria and Iran launching Arabic TV channel