Damascus Radio: Syria exerting “tremendous efforts” to prevent war on Iraq
Damascus Radio stressed on Sunday that Syria has been exerting “tremendous efforts” to prevent war against Baghdad, unite the Arab stance, mobilize international support and strengthen stances of European countries, which oppose war and support a peaceful solution to the Iraqi issue.
In its daily political commentary, the state-run radio said that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad held several contacts and consultations with leaders of Arab states, France, Russia, Pakistan and Turkey, aimed at reaching a peaceful solution to the Iraqi crisis.
“Syria has asserted the necessity for the implementation of the United Nation Security Council resolution 1441 for reaching peace and giving the international inspectors enough time to continue their mission because going to war without implementing this resolution means failure of the International Community in committing itself to the international legitimacy and failure of the UNSC in shouldering its responsibilities”, the radio said, cited by SANA news agency.
Furthermore, the radio indicated that war is rejected and that peace, stability and security in the region would only be ensured through the commitment to international legitimacy. (Albawaba.com)
- Damascus Radio urges prevention of war on Iraq
- Damascus Radio: Preventing war against Iraq should be “most important mission”
- Damascus Radio: Syrian President’s diplomacy will gain support for Arab causes
- Damascus Radio: US unilateralism must be limited
- Damascus Radio slams US policy on Israeli “terrorist crimes” against Palestinian people