Damascus Radio urges prevention of war on Iraq
Damascus Radio on Saturday stressed that despite the world condemnation of a possible US war on Iraq, international weapons inspectors as well as "no proof" of Iraq’s possession of banned weapons, the US administration continues preparing for war.
In its daily political commentary, the state-run radio stated that the alleged Iraqi weapons of mass destruction are a fabricated issue, as it noted the remarks of an unnamed American official, who said the real issue was not the findings of the arms inspectors. The radio also noted another unnamed official as saying the US could launch a war without UN permission.
Cited by SANA, the radio stressed that the first mission of the Arabs, regional states, and all world peace, security and stability seekers, was to prevent a war on Iraq and find a peaceful solution, based on the UN Security Council (UNSC) resolution, through available means as well as to provide the international inspectors enough time to complete their mission.
The radio concluded by pointing out that the only responsible body for implementing UNSC resolution 1441 is the Security Council and it is not only Iraq who is concerned about the resolution but rather all 1441-resolution related countries, including the United States, as President Bashar Al-Assad had affirmed. (Albawaba.com)
- Damascus Radio: US unilateralism must be limited
- Damascus Radio: Syria exerting “tremendous efforts” to prevent war on Iraq
- Damascus radio: US has never given up plans to attack Iraq
- Damascus Radio slams US policy on Israeli “terrorist crimes” against Palestinian people
- Damascus Radio: Preventing war against Iraq should be “most important mission”