Death Toll Tops 100 in Chinese Mine Explosion
More than 100 Chinese coal miners have been confirmed dead after a huge gas explosion at a mine in the southwestern province of Guizhou, a doctor at the mine's hospital told AFP Thursday.
The doctor said the bodies were being kept underground until nightfall to avoid chaotic scenes with grieving relatives.
The huge blast rocked the Mu Gong Gou coal mine in Shuicheng at 8:38 pm (1238 GMT) on Wednesday, the Xinhua news agency said, adding that 81 miners had been rescued alive.
Rescuers are still searching for survivors, according to mine officials -- BEIJING (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)