Demonstrators in Damascus: the Rock is our Option
By Nabil Al Mulhem
More than fifty thousand protestors rallied in Damascus Saturday, calling on the Arab leaders meeting in Cairo to cut off all relations with Israel.
Banners held by the protestors read “the rock option is our option,” referring to the fierce confrontations between Palestinian rock throwers and the Israeli forces.
A march organized by Iraqi residents in Damascus, including clerics, joined the first rally. They were carrying a large model of the Jerusalem’s Dome of the Rock, while young men showed tattoos on their arms that read “Palestine – Hizbollah”
Leaders of the Damascus-based Palestinian factions took part in the rally, and Secretary General of the Palestinian communist party addressed the chanting masses on behalf of the Palestinian Powers Alliance. He reiterated demands that the Arab states should severe relations with Israel and show more support for the Palestinian people.
In a statement to Albawaba.com, leader of Fateh – Intifada, an opposition Palestinian faction said that the first reading of the Cairo Arab Summit implies that the summit resolutions would not be different from the understandings reached at last week’s Sharm el Sheikh meeting.
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinian Factions Urge Arafat not to Attend Summit with Israel
- PFLP-GC Leader: A Billion Arabs and Muslims are Ready for Jihad against Israel
- Former PNA Speaker: Palestinian-Syrian Relations will be Mended during Arab Summit
- DFLP: Syrian Vice President Supports Intifada, Arab Break off with Israel
- Thousands March in Syria in Solidarity with the Intifada