Diplomats: Middle East Summit could Last into Night
The Paris meeting bringing together the Israeli and Palestinian leaders Ehud Barak and Yasser Arafat and US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright looked set to continue into the late evening, diplomatic sources said Wednesday.
After two and a half hours of talks at around 8.30 pm (18H30 GMT) sandwiches were brought into the suite in the American ambassador's residence where the three are meeting, they said.
The negotiating teams accompanying Arafat and Barak have been reduced in order to facilitate their discussions, they added.
Its extension into the evening was being taken as an encouraging sign, the sources said.
Once the talks are over, the three are expected to travel the short distance to the Elysee Palace for a meeting with French President Jacques Chirac and UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, the diplomatic sources added – PARIS (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Diplomatic Drive Continues to Restore Middle East Peace Process
- United States Steps up Diplomatic Action to Stop Middle East Violence
- Albright Brings Arafat, Barak together in Paris
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night
- Albright Hopes to Bring Arafat, Barak together for Paris Meeting