Egypt Accepts New Israeli Envoy
Egypt formally consented on Tuesday to accept newly appointed Israeli ambassador Gideon Ben-Ami, reported Haaretz newspaper.
Ben-Ami is slated to take up his post in Cairo starting in August.
Israel named Ben-Ami to the post some months ago, but Cairo stalled "before giving the new ambassador the normal nod Tuesday, said the paper.
Egypt withdrew its ambassador from Tel Aviv late last year in protest of Israel’s aggression against the Palestinians.
Israeli officials have repeatedly called on Egypt to send back Mohammed Bassioni, but Egypt said that such a move required a halt to the escalating conflict and a resumption of peace talks between the Palestinians and the Israelis – Albawaba.com
- Report: Egypt not Considering to Send back its Ambassador to Israel
- Israel’s President Calls on Jordan, Egypt to Return Ambassadors
- Egypt Not To Nominate Soon New Ambassador to Tel Aviv; Mubarak Receives Accreditation of Israeli Envoy
- Barak Voices Regret over Recall of Egypt's Ambassador
- Egypt's Recalled Ambassador to Israel Appointed to Consultative Council