Six Egyptian border guards killed
Smugglers killed six Egyptian border guards Saturday during a border patrol in the western part of the country, Reuters reports.
Security officials say the attack came in response to border guards’ recent arrest of smuggles and confiscation of their weapons and other stolen goods, according to Reuters.
Experts say weapons flow easily through Egypt’s border with Libya, a country awash with weapons since Muammar Gaddafi was overthrown in 2011. Egyptian forces are struggling to secure the border since Libya’s descent into chaos.
- Egypt detains six "terrorists" in North Sinai
- Six Egyptian guards killed in clash at Libyan border
- U.S. air strikes in Baghdad area target Republican Guard forces; Six Baath party members killed
- Twenty-one Egyptian border guards killed in militant attack
- Egyptian army soldiers inspect the site of an attack in which 21 border guards where killed