Egypt court sentences 683 more Muslim Brotherhood members to death
Agence France Presse reported that the Egyptian court that previously sentenced 529 Muslim Brotherhood members to death has sentenced an additional 683 Islamists to similar fates Monday, including Brotherhood leader Mohamed Badie.
The 683 were sentenced in Egypt's southern Minya courts, convicted of involvement in the killing and attempted murder of policemen in the province in August last year, the same time that police forces killed hundreds of former president Mohammed Morsi supporters in clashes in Cairo.
The total convicted to death now surpasses 1000, but the court has allegedly reversed 429 death sentences from the March conviction to life sentences rather than death.
- Egyptian court upholds Brotherhood ruling, 183 to receive death penalty
- Egypt court sentences top Muslim Brotherhood leaders to death, Badie included
- 155 Muslim Brotherhood supporters sentenced to jail
- Egypt sentences 529 Muslim Brotherhood supporters to death
- Muslim Brotherhood official sentenced to 10 years in prison