Egypt: Coptic Christian killed during with clashes with Muslims
A Coptic Christian was killed by a stray bullet during an overnight gunfight between Christians and Muslims in a town in southern Egypt, a security official said on Saturday. A Christian and a Muslim were also wounded in the shooting, which took place in Al-Tayeba, near Minya, some 230 kilometres south of Cairo.
According to AFP, the dead man was identified as Yeshua Gamal Nashed, 28. The cause of the violence was unclear, but the official said it appeared to be linked to reports that a Christian woman in the village was selling a property to a Muslim.
Al-Tayeba, 75 percent of whose 30,000 residents are Christian, has been cordoned off and several arrests have been made, the official added.
- Violent clashes between Egypt's Muslims and Christians leave eight injured
- Egypt: Clashes after five Coptic Christians shot dead
- Twenty Hurt in Cairo Clash between African Christians, Egyptian Muslims
- Thirty-nine Muslims on Trial for Communal Strife in Southern Egypt
- Cairo: At least 9 dead in clashes between Muslims and Christians