Egyptian judges step down from Muslim Brotherhood trial, cite "unease" over case
Beltagi was arrested earlier this year for his participation in the pro-Morsi Rabaa Al Adawiya sit-in (File Archive)
Click here to add Asmaa as an alert
Disable alert for Asmaa,
Click here to add Egypt’s military as an alert
Disable alert for Egypt’s military,
Click here to add Freedom and Justice party as an alert
Disable alert for Freedom and Justice party,
Click here to add Guide Mohammad Badie as an alert
Disable alert for Guide Mohammad Badie,
Click here to add Hesham Saraya as an alert
Disable alert for Hesham Saraya,
Click here to add Mohammad Al Beltagi as an alert
Disable alert for Mohammad Al Beltagi,
Click here to add Mohammad Morsi as an alert
Disable alert for Mohammad Morsi,
Click here to add Muslim Brotherhood as an alert
Disable alert for Muslim Brotherhood,
Click here to add Mustafa Attiya as an alert
Disable alert for Mustafa Attiya,
Click here to add Safwat Hegazi as an alert
Disable alert for Safwat Hegazi,
Click here to add UN Court as an alert
Disable alert for UN Court
Several judges dealt a blow on Saturday to Egypt’s military-backed authorities when they refused to consider a case against top Muslim Brotherhood detainee Mohammad Al Beltagi and firebrand Islamist preacher Safwat Hegazi.
The judicial team headed by Hesham Saraya recused themselves from the trial, saying they felt “unease over the case.”
They demanded that the case be considered by another court.
Beltagi and Hegazi were accused of detaining and torturing two policemen at the Rabaa Al Adawiya sit-in held by supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohammad Morsi.
The sit-in was broken by security forces on Aug. 14 leading to the death of more than 400 people. Beltagi’s daughter Asmaa, 17, died during the police intervention.
He was arrested on Aug. 29 during a mass arrest campaign against Muslim Brotherhood figures nationwide.
Hegazy, who was a media advisor to the Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party, was arrested Aug. 21 reportedly as he tried to escape to Libya.
It was not the first time a judicial panel refused to preside trial of detained Islamists.
In October, a judicial panel resigned from the trial of the group’s General Guide Mohammad Badie and his two deputies. They also cited their “uneasiness,” without giving further details.
At the time defense attorney Mustafa Attiya said that the court had been pressured by security officials to hold the trial inside Tora prison, where the defendants are in custody.J
“The judges refused, but the pressure continued,” said Attiya, who represents Badie. “This is not a trial - this is a farce,” Attiya told AFP.
- Three judges withdraw from trial of Muslim Brotherhood Supreme Guide Mohammed Badie
- Egypt: Attorney General refuses to step down despite Morsi decision
- Muslim Brotherhood's Beltagi slams "shameful" Egyptian government from prison
- Mubarak trial: judge withdraws and clashes erupt
- Top Lebanese Judge Resigns in Row over Military Court Competence