Egypt's presidential elections to end before July 17
Egypt's interim President Adly Mansour said on Wednesday that presidential elections will end before July 17, paving the way for parliamentary elections, the president's office said.
The statement came following a meeting that took place between Mansour and 13 representatives of political parties to discuss the electoral process and the controversial presidential elections law.
The law issued issued last Sunday has drawn critisim from several political factions over Article 7 in the law which makes the Presidential Election Commission’s decisions immune to appeals by other judicial bodies.
Critics have accused the new law of contravening Article 97 of the Egyptian constitution, which makes administrative orders liable to judicial appeal.
- New regulations for Egypt's upcoming presidential elections
- Egyptian presidential election process to kick off March 30
- Mansour: Egypt presidential elections will take place prior to parliamentary poll
- Egyptian presidential hopeful Sabbahi criticizes new election law
- Egypt's interim leader to forgo presidential bid, return to constitutional court