Beblawi: Egypt's army-backed government resigns
Egyptian Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi confirmed that the government has resigned on Monday, according to Reuters news agency.
Citing an unnamed source, state-run Al Ahram newspaper said on its website on Monday the decision was made after a 15-minute meeting of the cabinet.
Army chief Field Marshal Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who is expected to run for president, was part of the cabinet, serving as defense minister.
In an interview with Al Arabiya News in January, interim Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi was asked whether Egypt was returning to military rule following the army-backed ouster of Islamist President Mohammad Mursi last year.
“This is something people have in their minds, in their imagination. I’ve been in the cabinet for about six months, I haven’t felt any time that I am run by the military people,” he said.
“I told you my conviction and I promised prior to my assuming a public office, that I think Egypt after January 2011 is immune to military dictatorship and military rule. On the contrary, people are much more in command than ever before.”
- Egypt: Army nominates Sisi for presidency
- New Egypt PM begins reappointments, Sisi to remain as defense minister
- Egypt PM pledges no return to military rule
- Egyptian army denies Sisi presidential bid
- Veteran Egyptian diplomat Amr Moussa confirms Sisi will run for president, will make announcement in "near future"