Egypt Islamist militant blows himself up Thursday to avoid police arrest
An Islamist militant in Egypt blew himself up Thursday to avoid arrest, according to Agence France-Presse.
Police reported that the militant was living in a north Cairo apartment when he was discovered by police in a raid of the building. Upon police entering his building, the militant detonated explosives to avoid arrest killing himself and wounding a lieutenant officer.
Egyptian police have been cracking down on Islamists throughout the country, particularly in the Sinai Peninsular since July.
- 51 arrested during Egypt police raid on Islamist stronghold in Cairo district
- Lebanon vows terror crackdown after Tripoli raid
- Three Al Qaeda linked militants arrested over attempted Cairo blast at Western embassy
- Lebanon security forces clamp down on terror cells after hotel bombing
- Militans blow up pipeline in Egypt's Sinai