Egypt Islamist militant blows himself up Thursday to avoid police arrest
An Islamist militant in Egypt blew himself up Thursday to avoid arrest, according to Agence France-Presse.
Police reported that the militant was living in a north Cairo apartment when he was discovered by police in a raid of the building. Upon police entering his building, the militant detonated explosives to avoid arrest killing himself and wounding a lieutenant officer.
Egyptian police have been cracking down on Islamists throughout the country, particularly in the Sinai Peninsular since July.
- Sinai militant group issues warning to Egyptian police, says "more determined" to fight if ignored
- Two police officers, gunman killed during shootout in Turkey
- Four Egyptian police officers killed in Sinai
- Mursi's murder trial to resume in Cairo
- Ban calls for investigation into Egyptian prisoner deaths