Policeman shot dead in Egypt’s Nile Delta
A low-ranking police officer was shot dead on Monday morning in the Nile Delta's Gharbiya governorate, a security source told state news agency MENA.
He was killed when an armed group attacked a security checkpoint in Al-Sonta. Another officer was injured.
The area has been closed and is currently being searched, added the source.
Since the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi on 3 July 2013, attacks against police and army forces have spiked leaving hundreds of officers and soldiers injured and killed.
- Army officer shot dead in Egypt’s Nile Delta
- Egypt: Attacks against police officials continue across country
- Student Shot Dead After Attacking Egyptian Security HQ, Killing Officer
- Cairo bus attack leaves military officer dead, three injured in east Cairo
- Political violence erupts in Egypt's Nile Delta ahead of June 30