Sisi, Russian defence minister to talk military cooperation in Cairo
Sisi is due to talk military cooperation with his Russian counterpart in Cairo on Wednesday. (AFP/File)
Defense Minister Abdel Fattah al-Sisi will talk with his Russian counterpart, Sergei Shoigu, about ways to build on military cooperation with Egypt in the future, said a military source.
Shoigu will start his visit to Egypt on Wednesday and the two officials are expected to discuss military cooperation and joint training exercises, the source explained, part of Egypt's policy to diversify its sources of global support.
A visit by a Russian military intelligence chief will also consolidate military cooperation with the two sides expected to sign the biggest ever arms deal between Egypt and Russia, the source added.
Russia foreign and defense ministers will hold talks during their visit to discuss regional development, paving the way for a visit by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Sources stressed Egypt's willingness to strengthen ties with Russia, pointing to Monday's welcoming ceremony for a Russian naval ship in Alexandria.
The Russian defense minister will be accompanied on his visit to Cairo by a high-level military delegation.
- Egypt's Sisi expected to announce his resignation from his defense minister post Thursday
- Egypt closing in on a $2 billion arms deal with Russia
- Egypt: Sisi announces presidential bid, resigns as Defence Minister
- Egypt's constitution committee: "We will urge Al Sisi to run for president"
- Egyptian media: Sisi expected to announce presidential bid imminently