Egypt: Senior Muslim Brotherhood member arrested
Police detained the main financier and strategist of Egypt's outlawed Muslim Brotherhood opposition group Thursday, security and group officials said. According to the AP, the Brotherhood conveyed police also arrested some 200 of the group's supporters.
Mohammed Khayrat el-Shater, 55, was taken from his home early Thursday, security officials said.
The Brotherhood said police also arrested more than 180 students and university members including el-Shater's son-in-law. El-Shater joined the Brotherhood in 1974 and has been imprisoned four times, for a total of seven years behind bars, on charges relating to his membership in the movement.
- Interpol issues over 40 arrest warrants for senior Muslim Brotherhood members
- Egypt police arrest son of senior Brotherhood figure
- Egypt: Senior Muslim Brotherhood member released after three month detention
- Egypt: 600 Muslim Brotherhood members detained
- Egypt: Police continue to arrest opposition members