Suspected militants killed in Sinai explosion
Egyptian forces have been seeking to oust militants from the Sinai peninsula since Morsi left office in July. (AFP/File)
Two suspected militants were killed in an explosion near the Sinai city of Sheikh Zuweid on Monday, Egyptian security officials told Ma'an.
The officials said that the suspected militants were traveling on a motorcycle when a device they were carrying accidentally exploded, killing both men.
Egyptian security forces are currently trying to identify the bodies.
The Sinai peninsla has been rocked by violence since the ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July, 2013.
- Two Egyptian soldiers killed in Sinai roadside explosion
- Egyptian forces carry out Sinai operation, seven suspected militants killed
- Egyptian forces raid Rafah, kill upwards of eleven suspected militants
- Egypt: Two assailants killed by their own explosive device when it accidentally detonated
- Five militants killed by Egyptian forces in North Sinai