Egypt: Sisi promoted to top military rank of Field Marshall
Egypt’s military chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has been promoted to the top military rank of field marshal on Monday, state television announced.
The decision was made by Interim President Adly Mansour and announced on Monday on Egyptian state television, local news outlets reported.
Monday's decision comes amid heated speculation in Egypt that Gen. Sisi will step down to become a candidate in the upcoming presidential elections, which are set to take place in April, the Associated Press reported.
Sisi has yet to publicly announce his intentions regarding the presidency, but the army chief enjoys wide popularity among many Egyptians who see him as the saviour of the populus nation after he removed Islamist President Mohamed Morsi from power on July, 3, 2013.
- Egypt: Army nominates Sisi for presidency
- Muslim Brotherhood: Support for Sisi "proof" of 2013 military coup
- Veteran Egyptian diplomat Amr Moussa confirms Sisi will run for president, will make announcement in "near future"
- Egypt: Sisi announces presidential bid, resigns as Defence Minister
- Egyptian army denies Sisi presidential bid