Egyptian army denies Sisi presidential bid
Egypt’s military spokesman Ahmed Ali has denied that army chief Abdel-Fattah Al Sisi has announced he will stand for president.
“What was published in the Kuwaiti newspaper Al-Siyasa is merely journalistic speculation and not a direct statement from Field Marshal El-Sisi,” Ali said via Facebook.
Al-Siyasa published a lengthy interview with Sisi on Wednesday in which he reportedly said he “would fulfill the people’s demands to run for president".
The military council recently gave Sisi the green light to stand in Egypt's first presidential elections since the army toppled Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July amid mass protests against his rule.
Ali's statement said the decision would be “personally taken [by Sisi] in front of the great Egyptian people, clearly and directly, without doubt or speculation.”
The statement concluded with a plea for local and international media to be careful when disseminating news about the military and its leaders.
Sisi, who was recently promoted to field marshal from general, is expected to step down as the army chief before seeking election.
Presidential polls should be held between 17 February and 18 April after interim president Adly Mansour decided to bring them forward, altering the transitional roadmap which specified parliamentary polls would come first.
The first phase of the roadmap was completed last month when Egyptians voted overwhelmingly in favour of a new constitution.
- Egyptian media: Sisi expected to announce presidential bid imminently
- Sisi's presidential bid in question as he promotes Egyptian armed forces
- Putin spells out support for Sisi presidency, calls army chief's bid "responsible"
- Clearing the way for al Sisi: Former chief of staff for the Egyptian army will not run for president