Egypt warns: “Most dangerous” Al Qaeda attack yet to come
Egypt’s Interior Minister Habib al-Adli said Wednesday the international terrorist network Al-Qaeda was planning new operations and that the "most dangerous has yet to come".
"We take seriously every statement on plans for new operations by the Al-Qaeda organization, because our information indicates that other operations are in the process of being planned", he made clear.
Egypt's security services were on alert "because terrorism still exists, and the most dangerous has yet to come", he said.
These operations would "target the interests of certain countries", he said, without providing further detail, according to AFP.
These remarks come as Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak told The New York Times earlier this week his country warned Washington one week before the attacks on September 11, that an Al-Qaeda operation was being planned against a US target.
Furthermore, Adli also revealed that Yemen had "handed over to Egypt five wanted Islamists", and emphasized the importance of international and regional cooperation in the fight against terrorism.
He did not reveal the identities of the Islamists nor the charges against them, but said they had been handed over since his latest visit to Yemen in March. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Are Al Qaeda's new leaders the most dangerous yet?
- CIA Boss: U.S. Faces Dangers Beyond al Qaeda; Iran and Iraq Pursuing Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Experts: Lebanese army "likely" to be attacked by Al Qaeda-linked brigade in coming days
- For once, the travel warning is the other way around: UAE government warns citizens against Central London