Egyptian FM: “positive development” in U.S. stance on Middle East
Egypt welcomed Tuesday a "positive development" in the United States government's approach to Middle East peacemaking, after Washington renewed support for a Palestinian state over the opposition of Israel's Likud party.
"We perceive a positive development in the US position," Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher said during an interview on state television, according to AFP.
Renewed American support for a Palestinian state after the Likud party's central committee voted earlier this week to reject the creation of such a state "shows that their biased position toward Israel is changing," Maher said.
"When we compare the US administration's current position and the one it had when it came to power, we now find it wants to undertake steps after it had only wanted to look at the situation from afar," Maher added. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Maher: Bush Support for Palestinian State Opens Way to Final Talks
- Bush reiterates support for independent Palestine; Arabs slam Likud vote
- New poll: 60 percent of Israelis support establishment of Palestinian state
- Egyptian FM Due in Washington Next Week
- Egypt, US to 'Help' Palestinians, Israelis ‘Fully’ Implement Mitchell Recommendations