Egyptian MOI identifying wrongly accused youth for release
Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi assures the public that he is not "targeting" young people. (AFP/Mohammed Abed)
The Egyptian interior ministry is preparing a list of young detainees who were wrongly arrested or have been detained over minor charges, to be released before the fourth anniversary of the 25 January uprising, President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi said on Monday.
Speaking during his visit to the UAE, the president said the list include all cases presented by the media as well as Egyptian organisations.
The list is currently being revised by the responsible entities, the president added.
Two of the detainees being considered for are young men serving three-year sentences for attempting to overthrow former president Mohamed Morsi, he said, without giving further details. .
In a meeting with political parties last week, El-Sisi had asked party representatives to make a list of arrested youth who were unjustly arrested.
Since November 2013, hundreds of Islamists and liberals, including many students, have been arrested for violating a controversial law which mandates protestors to notify authorities at least three days ahead of protests.
The law stipulates heavy fines and prison sentences to its violators.
El-Sisi stated that the country is not "targeting" young people.
"On the contrary, I don't hesitate to select youth for (official) positions, as I've found them more daring, enthusiastic and able to work," he told journalists.
- Galilee ethnic clashes shed light on Druze, Christian ties
- Radioactive in Lebanon: Contaminated goods raise important questions
- Morsi pardons uprising detainees
- On the anniversary of an arrest, Egyptians are campaigning for the military prisoner’s release
- After the violence in Egypt and Libya, YouTube blocks access to film clip but refuses to remove it