Egyptian teen commits suicide to avoid marriage
An Egyptian girl, 17, committed suicide by swallowing insecticides rather than marry without being able to complete her studies, police in Egypt said Tuesday.
Hanem Nureddin Mahmoud, refusing to give in to her father's insistence on marrying without delay, took her own life Sunday in the Nile Delta village of Al-Mogafaf, according to AFP.
Police did not specify if the would-be groom was chosen by the girl's father, as is the custom in Egyptian rural society. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Egyptian Driver Commits ‘Honor Crime’ Using Electric Shock Device
- Lebanese policeman commits suicide after killing daughter over refusal to marry relative
- Teenager Drowns Himself in Nile after Girlfriend Refuses to Kiss Him
- Father refused to stop protests, daughter committed suicide
- Father of Egyptian Suspect Rules out Son's Involvement in US Attacks