Egyptian Writers Union Targets Normalizers
By Mohammad Baali
Albawaba.com – Cairo
The Egyptian Writers Union has decided to form a permanent committee to scrutinize academics who call for the normalization of relations with Israel.
The committee, formed of board and general assembly members, will also submit detailed reports on alleged normalizers within the union’s own ranks, in order to bring about their expulsion.
Union head Farouq Khorshid told the Cairo-based Akhbar Al Adab that his office had made the decision as a “practical and strong” reaction to all those who blasted the board of directors and demanded that it renounce its anti-normalization stance.
The union took several years to expel writer Ali Salem for visiting Israel and calling for the normalization of ties with the Jewish state.
Many Egyptian authors have condemned the expulsion, including Nobel Prize winner Nagib Mahfouze – Albawaba.com
- Jordanian Committee Stalls on Publishing List of ''Normalizers''
- Jordan’s Professional Union to Host Anti-Normalization Seminar in August
- Celebrations and Protests Planned on Journalist’s Day in Egypt
- Written on the Bodies? Edward Said Questions Translation = Collaboration Equation
- Egyptian Journalists Face Probe for Alleged Partying at Israeli Embassy