Eight American soldiers, at least 15 Iraqis killed in clashes
Iraqi resistance fighters shot dead five U.S. Marines in al-Anbar province west of Baghdad on Monday, the U.S. military announced on Tuesday.
The statement did not specify the precise location or give details of the incident. The deaths of another three U.S. soldiers announced Tuesday occurred in a Baghdad neighborhood where US troops traded fire with supporters of Muqtada Sadr, an anti-American Shiite cleric.
Elsewhere, at least 15 Iraqi civilians were killed in clashes in the Iraqi city of Nassariya. At least four others were reportedly injured. A fire fight erupted overnight between Italian soldiers and Shiites and lasted Tuesday morning. Four vehicles belonging to the Italian forces caught fire during the clashes and at least 12 Italians were reported wounded. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- At least eight Iraqis, American soldier dead; US Army claims killing of senior al Qaeda figures
- At least nine American soldiers injured fighting Iraqi resistance
- Iraq: Clashes in south as at least eight soldiers killed
- At least eight American soldiers wounded in blast
- Iraq: At least 33 American soldiers killed in last eight days