Election Watchdog Validates more Iranian Results, but not in Tehran
Iran's elections watchdog the Council of Guardians endorsed Thursday the results of 28 of the 66 seats at stake in the second round of parliamentary elections held May 5, state radio reported, quoted by AFP.
But the conservative body still has not announced its decision regarding the 30 seats in Tehran contested in the first round of last February.
The body had previously said there was vote rigging in the capital, Iranian news agency (IRNA) reported.
The second-round results validated Thursday confirmed the sweeping success of reformists close to President Mohammad Khatami in overturning the conservative majority in the outgoing parliament - (Several Sources)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iranian Guardians' Council Says Vote Rigging Heavy in Tehran
- Khamenei Orders Election Watchdog to Validate Partial Tehran Results
- Iran’s Election Watchdog Cancels Result for Western Parliamentary Seat
- Iranian Council to Announce Tehran Election Results Thursday
- Iran Sets May 5 for Second Round of Elections