Employees of Japanese Firm Suffer Food Poisoning after Ramadan Meal in Egypt
Twenty-seven employees of the Japanese firm Toshiba, near Cairo, were poisoned by the food they were offered during a meal served to break the Ramadan fast, the company told AFP.
For the traditional Iftar meal taken at sunset after the fast, the domestic appliances manufacturing firm served kebab and kofta, or grilled meat to its staff.
Suffering from stomach ache, vomiting and diarrhoea, 27 employees of Toshiba's Kalyubeya manufacturing site, 50 kilometers (35 miles) north of Cairo) had to be taken to hospital. An inquiry was launched by the police, the company said.
During Ramadan, many companies serve Iftar to their employees when the sun sets. Iftar is also offered to domestics and peddlers by house-owners, to demonstrate charity, as is required by Islam – CAIRO (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)