ENOC organises diabetes seminar for staff
Emirates National Oil Company (ENOC) organised a one-day seminar on diabetes for staff-members to mark World Diabetes Day. The initiative was part of the company’s corporate social responsibility to enhance awareness about the disease, which reportedly affects 20 per cent of the UAE population.
The seminar discussed ways of preventing and treating diabetes with a focus on early diagnosis. Participants were provided a health check-up including blood glucose level, blood pressure monitoring and BMI check-up, led by healthcare professionals.
Khalid Hadi, ENOC Group Brand and Marketing Manager, said: “Diabetes is described as the silent killer and is widely prevalent in the UAE due to modern lifestyles. Simple lifestyle changes can help manage the disease and it is extremely important that people are aware of the factors contributing to diabetes including improper diet and lack of exercise. ENOC organised the seminar to ensure the well-being of our staff members and encourage them to communicate the message to their friends and family, thus reaching a wider audience.”
World Diabetes Day is celebrated on November 14 and engages millions of people worldwide in diabetes advocacy and awareness. It draws attention to issues of paramount importance regarding diabetes and keeps the disease in the public spotlight. Diabetes Education and Prevention is the World Diabetes Day theme for the period 2009-2013.
- ‘Emirates Diabetes Congress 2009’ to help address spread of disease in the UAE
- Diabetes prevention measures highlighted during International Diabetes Awareness Day in Riyadh
- Bawadi Mall hosts two campaigns for combating diabetes
- Early detection of Diabetes and related eye disease reduces the risk of vision loss in up to 90% cases
- International Diabetes Federation Launches World Diabetes Day 2010 Campaign