ETA's ''Barcelona commando'' had hit list of 2,148 future targets: minister
The Basque separatist organization ETA compiled a list of 2,148 possible future assassination targets, Spanish Interior Minister Mariano Rajoy said Wednesday.
The "Barcelona commando" of ETA named politicians and army and police officers that they could target in future attacks, Rajoy said at a press conference in Madrid, adding that only a few from the list had actually been followed by ETA members, leading him to believe they were short-term targets.
The "Barcelona commando" was dismantled last week after Spanish police launched an operation against them.
Last week, a member of the group was arrested after confessing to trying to kill one of Spain's top journalists eight times in six months.
Six others have also been apprehended since the operation began.
ETA's "Barcelona commando" has been held responsible for the murders of three Catalan politicians and a Catalan policeman, in addition to last week's explosion in Madrid airport's parking lot in which no one was hurt.
Rajoy failed to provide the names of those on the list, but said they had been alerted to ETA's plans -- MADRID (AFP)
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)