EU adds three Palestinian groups to blacklist of terror organisations
European Union foreign ministers on Monday added three Palestinian armed groups to its blacklist of “terrorist” organisations, EU sources said.
An official statement said the list, adopted in the wake of the September 11 attacks on the United States, had been updated but the new version would only be published on Tuesday in the EU's Official Journal.
However, the sources said the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine and the Palestine Liberation Front were all added to the list of groups whose assets must be frozen by the 15 EU member states.
The addition of the three Palestinian groups brings the EU into line with the United States, which has been pressing its European allies to take a tougher line against "Middle Eastern terrorism". Diplomats said the measure was largely symbolic since none of the groups is thought to have significant assets in Europe. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- EU court takes Hamas off terror blacklist
- Sources: EU to add more Palestinian groups to terror list
- Chirac tells Peres Hizbullah to stay out of EU “terror” list; Nasrallah ready for ''serious'' prisoner swap talks
- Hezbollah officially declared not a terrorist group: EU rejects request
- Britain fails to put Hezbollah on EU terror list