EU Concerned over Sudan Bombings, Pleased at Resumption of Aid
The European Union is concerned about the recent bombings of civilians in southern Sudan, but is pleased that humanitarian aid flights have resumed, the French presidency of the EU said in statement Saturday.
Sudanese warplanes reportedly bombed civilian positions in the south of the country on August 7th and 8th, in attacks, which led to the suspension of humanitarian aid projects in the region.
Relief flights resumed on Wednesday after a weeklong suspension.
UN Secretary General Kofi Annan said Tuesday that he had received assurances from Sudanese President Omar Bashir that all possible measures had been taken to guarantee the safety of staff working for Operation Lifeline Sudan and their equipment.
"The EU hopes that the Sudanese government will scrupulously respect its commitments before the United Nations, and calls on the warring parties to respect international humanitarian law," the EU statement said.
The EU also condemned the fact that a humanitarian ceasefire broken on July 15th had not been renewed, and called on the opposing factions to negotiate a new agreement.
France currently holds the six-month rotating EU presidency, which it took over from Portugal on July 1st - PARIS (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)