European Union blacklists Hamas as ''terror group''
The European Union in a special session at the EU Council Headquarters in Brussels on Thursday agreed to place the political wing of the Palestinian Hamas movement on its blacklist of outlawed "terrorist organizations."
Specifics of the decision will be published in the EU's official journal, probably on Saturday.
The decision requires the 15 member states to freeze assets of the organization. An EU official, requesting anonymity, said the list "will be in line with the request made by foreign ministers ... on the inclusion of Hamas." He refused to say whether charities or social groups linked to Hamas were included. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Intelligence services of EU member states to make recommendations on Hamas blacklisting
- Senior Hamas leader says EU made ''big mistake'' by blacklisting movement
- Sources: EU to add more Palestinian groups to terror list
- EU adds three Palestinian groups to blacklist of terror organisations
- Israel criticizes EU for holding talks with Hamas