Ex-Israeli general calls to evacuate 32 West Bank settlements
Ex-Israeli major general unveiled his plan for "disengaging" from the Palestinians Tuesday. According to Haaretz, the plan calls for 32 West Bank settlements to be evacuated.
According to Uzi Dayan's proposal, Ariel, Gush Etzion, Ma'ale Adumim, Ofra, Beit El and Kiryat Arba near Hebron would all be included within Israeli territory.
According to his plan, the Palestinians will be given the right of return to the rest of the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Dayan emphasized that according to his proposal East and West Jerusalem would remain under Israeli rule.
Meanwhile, the London-based daily Al-Quds Al-'Arabi reported on Tuesday that U.S. President George W. Bush is leading an effort aiming at announcing the establishment of a temporary Palestinian state in the Gaza Strip.
The paper cited Palestinian sources who added that Bush has already managed to muster the support of several officials in the Middle East, and that they will try to convince the Palestinian side.
© 2005 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Peres: new U.S. plan calls for evacuation of settlements, renunciation of right of return
- Israeli soldier wounded in Gaza Strip, 15 Palestinians arrested in Ramallah as Israel, PA set to hold security talks
- Palestinian mortar attack injures nine Israeli troops; Sharon: Dismantling settlements ''not on the horizon''
- Israeli Army Triples Number of Troops Protecting Jewish Settlements
- Five Palestinians shot dead in West Bank and Gaza Strip