Fallujah: Two US troops killed as Iraqi forces move into city
A suicide car bombing attack on Friday killed two Marines and wounded six near their camp in Fallujah, the US military said.
Earlier, US marines began withdrawing from the southeastern part of the Iraqi city of Fallujah where they have held positions for the last three weeks, according to AFP.
The 1st Battalion, 5th Marines Regiment left frontline bases in the abandoned factories and garages of Fallujah's southern industrial area, the report added.
Some 70 to 80 marines remained at an abandoned factory that had served as the battalion's center for operations inside the city and they were inclined to move later in the day to a base outside of Fallujah.
Members of a new Iraqi force moved into the former Marine positions and raised the Iraqi flag.
The US withdrawal follows a a political settlement with Iraqi fighters.
A US military commander told reporters Thursday that responsibility for security would be given to an Iraqi security force led by a former general from Saddam Hussein's army.
Marines would then pull out from the northern part of the city, Lieutenant Colonel Brennan Byrne told reporters. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- At least 11 Iraqi troops, two civilians killed in attacks
- Fallujah: Two marines, three Iraqis killed in firefight
- Fierce fighting in Fallujah: At least 10 US troops, '\'71'\' Iraqi fighters killed so far
- Two US troops die in copter crashes as three Iraqis killed in Fallujah attack
- Fallujah fight starts: Two US marines, '\'42 insurgents'\' killed