Father of Qatari charged with involvement in Sept. 11 claims son is innocent
A Qatari man said in remarks published Monday that his son, who is held in a prison in the United States on charges of involvement in the September 11 attacks, was "innocent."
"I reject all the charges leveled at my son, Fahd al-Hajri," Abdullah bin Rashed al-Hajri told Al-Raya daily.
Hajri said the Qatari embassy in Washington had hired a lawyer to defend his son, and "all the documents needed to refute the US accusations" were currently in his possession.
28-year-old Fahd al-Hajri had been pursuing media studies in the United States. Prior to that, he presented a sports program on Qatari state television.
Qatar's Foreign Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem bin Jabr al-Thani said in mid-March that only one Qatari was amongst around 330 prisoners from the Afghan war detained at a US naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Former Qatari justice minister Mohammad Najib al-Nuaimi told AFP on March 27th that he had set up a committee to help defend some of the suspected al-Qaeda and Taliban members held at the base.
"The committee comprises 11 lawyers from the four corners of the world, and includes former US attorney general Ramsey Clark," Nuaimi said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)