Fierce Battle in Kunduz Leaves 100 Dead
Northern Alliance troops fought a fierce battle in Kunduz Monday with die-hard Taliban militia that left about 100 soldiers dead on both sides, a Northern Alliance commander said.
The battle was reported by commander Salim Mohammad, who said the situation in the last Taliban bastion in northern Afghanistan was later brought under control and hundreds of militiamen surrendered.
Northern Alliance forces earlier entered the city after a two-week siege and heavy US airstrikes against up to 9,000 Taliban fighters believed to be holding out.
Some 2,000 fighters had surrendered previously and more gave themselves up on Monday, but not before a desperate firefight between the Alliance troops and a fierce pocket of Taliban resistance.
"Some 500 Taliban surrendered today after fighting in the morning that left about 100 dead on each side," Salim Mohammad told AFP. By mid-afternoon, the Alliance had visibly asserted complete control of the city.
The black-turbaned warriors, still carrying their Kalashnikov rifles, were packed into trucks all along the main street of Kunduz. Mohammad said most appeared to be ethnic Pashtuns.
But groups of other Taliban were still battling in the district of Char Dara, 10 kilometers (six miles) west of the city, the Northern Alliance said – Kunduz (AFP)