Fierce Tripoli clashes leave one dead, several wounded
One person died and two others were wounded Monday morning in the northern city of Tripoli, security sources said, after a sudden eruption of violence between the rival neighborhoods of Bab al-Tabbaneh and Jabal Mohsen over the weekend.
Ahmad Sabih was shot Sunday in the Riva neighborhood and died from his wounds Monday morning, the sources said.
They said two people were also wounded Monday in the northern city, where a relative calm set in, with schools, shops and other businesses reopening.
They said intermittent gunshots could be heard in the rival neighborhoods of Jabal Mohsen, where support for President Bashar Assad is strong, and Bab al-Tabbaneh, which backs the uprising in Syria, with the possibility of clashes reigniting at anytime.
The fighting between the rival neighborhoods renewed Sunday at around 7 p.m. Light arms, machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades were used in the fighting, which led to the wounding of 14 people and material damage to residential buildings and shops.
The trigger for the fresh clashes was unclear.
Some sources in Bab al-Tabbaneh said the arrest of two young men who’d returned from fighting in Syria may have sparked the clash. Other sources from the rival neighborhoods blamed each other for the revival of hostilities.
Units from the Lebanese Army, which have been deployed in Tripoli since the most recent round of violence that erupted last month, were promptly put on high alert as the violence resumed.
Thirty were killed and more than 200 wounded last month in the clashes between Bab al-Tabbaneh and Jabal Mohsen.