Fireworks blast in Mexican city kills at least 28
At least 28 people were killed and 50 wounded in a fireworks blast on New Year's Eve in the Mexican gulf port of Vera Cruz, officials said, according to AFP.
Police and members of the public helped firefighters carry heavy hoses to the fire as they struggled to put out blazing cars, buildings and market stalls.
City fire spokesman Carlos Ortiz said 28 bodies were recovered and 50 people were injured, most from smoke inhalation. He PROJECTED the death toll to rise Wednesday. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Two killed in Baghdad fire as bomb explosion hits U.S. military convoy
- Fireman Killed, Seven Injured in Blast at Rome Building
- Eighteen People Suffer Smoke Inhalation in Amman Hotel Fire
- Iraq: At least seven dead in blast as funeral death toll rises to 36
- Three Dead in Madrid Car Bomb Blast Blamed on ETA - Radio