For the first time: Woman in race for Lebanon presidency
Naila Mouawad, the first woman ever to seek Lebanon's top post, was quoted as saying "we want a made-in-Lebanon president" when Gen. Emile Lahoud's 6-year term in office expires in November, An Nahar reported Tuesday. Her candidacy, she added, is meant to find out Lebanon's public opinion position on the upcoming election "because it is high time that we get a made-in-Lebanon president."
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- First woman ever to seek Lebanon presidency says Syria created ''corrupt'' class of politicians
- Lebanese poll: 56% consider Syrian presence ''illegitimate''
- Lebanon President says water projects to continue despite Israeli threats
- Lebanese president term extended by three years
- Lahoud : Lebanon will not Bend to Pressures to Satisfy Israel