Five American troops killed in Baghdad as aide of Zarqawi captured
Five American troops were killed and five injured on Friday when a blast hit their convoy on the edge Baghdad's Sadr City, the US military said.
Witnesses earlier said on the scene that the convoy was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade before a roadside bomb was detonated.
A 21-year-old Iraqi was seriously injurde by the explosion, his father said. Witnesses said a cameraman was also wounded when American soldiers opened fire to keep bystanders away.
Meanwhile, the US Army said an aide to senior al Qaeda activist Abu Musab al Zarqawi has been captured.
Zarqawi is accused of masterminding a string of suicide bombings in Iraq.
Al Zarqawi's top lieutenant, Umar Baziyani, was seized by Iraqi police on May 30. "Baziyani, an associate of terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, is known to have ties to several extremist terrorist groups in Iraq," a US military statement said.
"His believed to be responsible for the death and injury of scores of innocent Iraqi citizens." (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Al-Yawer: ”Nonsense” to ask for US troop pullout as Zarqawi activists say four guardsmen captured
- Two US troops killed in northern Iraq as bounties offered for five ''wanted men''
- Eight killed in Baghdad attacks as senior al Qaeda activist captured
- Iraq: Zarqawi aide arrested as 19 die in attacks
- Baghdad: American soldier kills five of his comrades