Five Mortar Shells Hit Deserted Garrison in Tehran, Opposition Group Claims Responsibility
Five mortar shells were fired early Monday into a military barracks in east Tehran, but they failed to hit buildings and caused no casualties, reported Iran News Agency (IRNA).
AFP said that Mujahedeen Khalq, the main armed Iranian opposition group, quickly claimed responsibility for the attack.
Although IRNA said that there were no casualties, the opposition group told Reuters that "there have been reports of casualties among the senior officers who work in this compound and ambulances have been seen going into the compound and going out."
The group said one of its units inside Iran fired shells against the facility "in the name of the people of Khoramabad and their heroic uprising in recent days," said AFP.
It was the eighth mortar attack since the start of the year, targeting official buildings, either military or political, several of which resulted in casualties, said AFP.
The unrest in Khoramabad this weekend followed days of protests after two prominent progressives were blocked last week from addressing a conference of a leading pro-reform student group, which was holding its annual meeting in the city, said AFP (Several Sources)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)