Five US Special Forces Killed in Suicide Attack
The Taliban claimed Saturday to have killed five US special forces soldiers in a suicide attack in Afghanistan's Kandahar province, the Baluchistan Times reported.
The five were killed during an attack near an airstrip about 20 kilometers (12 miles) out of Kandahar city, the Taliban's commander of frontier affairs Maulvi Aminullah told the Pakistani paper.
US forces secured Dolangi airstrip last weekend and hundreds of Marines have since been flown in.
"Five US special forces personnel were killed while eight Taliban embraced martyrdom in the attack," Aminullah said, without elaborating.
He also said that US forces had been engaged in fighting with Taliban troops in desert areas of the province, the spiritual heartland of the fundamentalist Islamic militia.
He did not give any details but said there had been no fighting in Kandahar city itself.
Kandahar has come under increasingly heavy bombardment in recent days, according to witnesses at the Pakistan-Afghan border. Some three-quarters of its population is thought to have fled the city since the start of the US-led bombing campaign seven weeks ago – Quetta (AFP)
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iraq: Five U.S. troops killed in suicide bombing attack
- Airborne Suicide Attacks on US Claim Thousands of Lives
- Suicide bombing kills Afghan commander fighting Taliban
- Suicide bombing attack kills five US soldiers near Najaf; US claims scores of Republican Guard troops killed
- Report: US forces in Afghanistan hold five Yemenis