Following Bagram Base attack, Afghanistan suspends talks with US
Afghan President Hamid Karzai has suspended talks on a security pact with the United States, stating Washington is sending mixed messages on peace talks with the Taliban, Reuters reported.
"In a special meeting chaired by President Hamid Karzai, the president has decided to suspend talks about a security pact with the U.S. because of their inconsistent statements and actions in regard to the peace process," said Aimal Faizi, presidential spokesperson and director of communications for Afghanistan.
Negotiations on the Bilateral Security Agreement started earlier this year and, if completed, may define future realtions between the U.S. military and Afghanistan.
Read more: See our latest coverage on the Middle East
On Wednesday, the Taliban claimed responsibility for the killings of four U.S. forces in an overnight attack on Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan, just hours after Washington said its officials would meet the insurgents for talks.
“Last night two big rockets were launched at Bagram (air base) which hit the target. Four soldiers are dead and six others are wounded. The rockets caused a major fire,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told the AFP.
According to the Huffington Post, insurgents attacked the base with some kind of indirect fire, leaving open the possibility it was hit by rockets or mortar rounds.
- Taliban attacks Bagram Air Base following Obama statments
- US Bombs Taliban Front Lines ‘Fiercely,’ Says Campaign to Continue through Ramadan
- U.S. sending mixed messages on Iran's role in Syrian peace talks
- US Says Russia Still Open for Ex-Soviet Base Use for Afghan Attack
- Bagram Air Base attack kills two US soldiers