Former Iraqi parliament speaker released by US after months behind bars
Former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's parliament speaker, Saadoun Hammadi, has been released after being detained by the US military for nine months, according to his bodyguard.
"He arrived home Saturday at around 2:00 pm (1100 GMT) in a taxi, wearing a leather vest, pants and a winter cap. He looked very tired," bodyguard Jassem Allawi told AFP on Monday.
Meanwhile, a relative of Hammadi told the agency the former parliament speaker was in good health after spending months behind bars.
Hammadi shuttled between Abu Gharib prison on the outskirts of the capital Baghdad and a US military detention center by the southern port of Umm Qasr before being jailed at Baghdad's airport, the relative said, requesting anonymity. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Relative: Former Iraqi parliament speaker detained by US troops
- Iraqi Parliamentary Speaker on First Visit to EU Country since Embargo
- Iraqi National Assembly speaker sends letter to International Parliamentary Union Head
- Iraqi legislators express support in Saddam leadership, dismiss ultimatum
- Iraqi Parliament Speaker Off to UN Meeting in New York