Four Palestinians shot dead in Jenin, Gaza Strip as Arafat, Qurei reach agreement on new cabinet
Four Palestinians were killed Saturday by Israeli fire in two separate incidents in the West Bank and in the Gaza Strip.
In Jenin, troops shot dead two Palestinians and wounded two children, one critically. They also razed a house in the city.
Mohammed Salah, 19, was shot dead Saturday morning in Tale’t Al Gibss area of Jenin City by Israeli machinegun fire, and two other children were wounded, Palestinian medical sources stated.
WAFA said that a massive contingent of the Israeli occupying forces via loudspeakers confined the residents of Jenin City in their houses under curfew early Saturday morning and deployed its soldiers, tanks and armored personnel carriers in its streets and outskirts.
Palestinian medical sources of Rammallah public hospital announced Saturday that Ramzi Jaradat, 22, has died of wounds he sustained three weeks ago during an Israeli raid.
In the Gaza Strip, two Palestinian civilians were killed by Israeli fire, Israel Radio reported Saturday. Also in the Strip, an Israeli soldier was lightly wounded Saturday during a patrol in the southern Gaza Strip, near the border between Israel and Egypt.
Meanwhile, Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei said on Saturday that Yasser Arafat had agreed to a security deal that would split power between the interior ministry and the National Security Council.
Qurei had proposed that Hakam Balawi, favored by Fatah for interior minister, cede control over Palestinian security forces to a national securitycouncil.
The council is under Arafat's auspices but includes General
Nasser Yousef, Qurei's original choice for interior minister. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Arafat, Qurei reach compromise over security powers as two Palestinians shot dead during Israeli raid in Gaza Strip
- Gaza Strip split into three, two Palestinians killed in Jenin; Israel on high alert on eve of new Jewish Year
- Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in Gaza Strip as Qurei hopes to meet Sharon soon
- Israeli fire kills four unarmed civilians in Gaza Strip, Curfew imposed on Jenin
- Sources: Arafat soon to announce personnel changes in cabinet, security apparatus