Fourteen Palestinians Wounded in Clashes with Israeli Soldiers in Gaza Strip
Fourteen Palestinian youths were wounded in clashes Wednesday with Israeli soldiers guarding a Jewish settlement in the center of the Gaza Strip, reported Al-Jazira satellite channel.
Soldiers fired on the youths from the nearby Deir el Balah refugee camp when they stoned the army post at the entrance to the Kfar Darom settlement, said AFP.
One of the wounded, a 12-year-old boy, was in a serious condition at Shifa hospital in Gaza City.
The other wounded were taken to Nasser hospital in Khan Yunis. All had been hit by live rounds, doctors in both hospitals said.
Clashes were also reported in Erez, the Israeli-controlled crossing between the Gaza Strip and Egypt, with youths stoning troops. Palestinian police were trying to stop the stone-throwing, witnesses said, according to AFP.
Israel and Palestinian leaders reached an understanding at the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh on Tuesday to end nearly three weeks of violence.
Meanwhile, a clandestine Muslim group claimed in Beirut Wednesday it had attacked, and caused casualties at an Israeli army checkpoint in the Gaza Strip.
The Forces of Martyred Leader Omar al-Mukhtar said in a statement faxed to AFP in Beirut it had attacked late Tuesday an Israeli army checkpoint in Rafah, near the border with Egypt, said the agency.
The guerrillas "attacked a Zionist enemy checkpoint near the Salahuddin gate in the region of Rafah south of the Gaza Strip with machine-guns and hand grenades, it said.
"A number of enemy soldiers were hit," it said, adding that "the enemy has confirmed the attack and the casualties among its soldiers."
"The heroes of our commando succeeded in withdrawing and returning safe to base," said the group, which pledged to "continue the resistance, in all its forms until the defeat of the Zionist enemy and the liberation of Palestine."
Israeli military sources said two Israeli soldiers were slightly wounded in clashes with Palestinians at the Rafah crossing-point.
On October 2, the guerrilla group also claimed responsibility for the killing of an Israeli man in the West Bank, saying it was in retaliation for the death of a Palestinian boy allegedly killed by Israeli army fire, AFP said.
The organization, named after a Libyan nationalist who fought Italian colonialism, had not been heard from in Beirut for two years, according to the agency (Several Sources)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinian Authority Urges Palestinians to Maintain Calm
- Dozens of Palestinians Wounded in Clashes with Israeli Troops Despite Truce
- Second Palestinian Killed by Israeli Fire in Gaza Strip
- Palestinian Boy Clinically Dead after Bethlehem Clashes
- Palestinian Group Claims Responsibility for Attack on Israeli Post in Rafah