France backs political solution to Sahara issue
France supports a political solution to the Sahara issue, accepted by all parties, in the framework and under the aegis of the UN, a spokesman for the French foreign department said Friday.
The Security Council adopted unanimously, on Thursday, Resolution 1570 on the Sahara, extending the mandate of the MINURSO (French acronym for the UN mission in the Sahara) by 6 months, that is until April 30, 2005, and asking UN Secretary General Kofi Annan to report further on the possibility of reducing the size of the operation, MAP reported.
“France hopes that these 6 months be used well by the parties to work with Annan and his special representative, and with each other, to achieve an acceptable solution,” the spokesman said. (Albawaba.com)
- France agrees on the political solution to the Sahara dispute
- Security Council: Six months extension to MINURSO’s mandate in Moroccan Sahara
- United Nations Commission calls on finding Political Settlement to Sahara Issue
- UN special envoy on Sahara to visit Maghreb region
- Kofi Annan concerned over Sahara